Thursday, June 11, 2009

Gaza, not Giza, Obama

I know Obama's visit to the Middle East is old news now, but one thing has been bugging me. He visited Giza on his way out of the Arab world, not Gaza!

Before he left, I signed a petition encouraging him to visit Gaza, the location of a recent war. A war started by America's closest ally in the Middle East, a country that America gives up to $3 billion annually. I think he misunderstood the petition because he accidentally went to Giza instead. Instead of seeing the site of a recent war that destroyed public buildings and killed 1300 people less than 6 months ago, he saw structures that have been standing in the same place for over 4500 years. They haven't changed at all. For a president who stands on a platform of "Change We Can Believe In", I'm surprised he chose quite a stagnant landmark to cap his trip to the Arab world.

No comments: