Friday, June 26, 2009

Gary, Indiana

Here is a story written by my creative director, Jimmy Smith about Michael Jackson and Gary, Indiana.  Enjoy.

"In 1965, in accordance with the Civil Rights movement, Mom and Pop decided

to move from an all Black neighborhood in Muskegon Heights, Michigan, to

an all White neighborhood in Norton Shores, Michigan.  Only about 5 miles

separated the neighborhoods, but they might as well been a thousand miles

apart.


The KKK sent letters to all of our soon to be new neighbors urging them

not to allow us to move into the neighborhood.  They threatened the

builder of our house, so he wouldn’t complete the project.  We had to hire

a dude all the way in Ohio to build our home.  People threw bottles at our

cars and shot bb’s through our windows.  From kindergarten through 4th

grade, I was called nigger so much it wouldn’t have surprised me if some

kids thought it was my first or last name.


In the summer of 1970, my two cousins, Kee-Kee and Angie, came to visit. 

They were from Gary, Indiana.  Kee-Kee was six years older than me and

Angie.


Kee-Kee was talking about how this kid he went to school with, Jermaine,

had just left school and moved to California with his brothers.  They had

this singing group called the Jackson 5.  He had their two albums, “Diana

Ross presents the Jackson 5” and “ABC.”  I had just gotten a new record

player.  When Kee-Kee let the needle drop it was a moment I’ll never

forget, man.  I can’t describe the feeling.  My mind was blown!  Michael,

Marlon, Jermaine, Tito and Jackie were the new sound of Motown!  I mean,

damn, “I Want You Back,” “ABC,” “Stop The Love Save,” and “One More

Chance,” are you kidding me?  Bananas!!!


Ever so slightly, things even started getting better at school.  Suddenly,

that Black kid at school with the afro like the Jackson 5 wasn’t so

strange.  Gradually, I could at least go a week without being called

nigger.  Not bad...considering.


It was 1971.  Thanksgiving was a few months away.  Angie called.  Kee-Kee

told her that the Jackson 5 were coming back to Indiana for Thanksgiving

for the first time since they left.  They were gonna perform at Kee-Kee’s

new high school, Gary Westside.


Brothas and sistas, I was going to that joint even if I had to ride my

Schwin Stingray with the banana seat all the way to Gary.  Didn’t matter

if it was 150 miles or so away.


Fortunately, Mom and Pop were down for the cause.  They drove me to Gary. 

Right on!


The morning of the concert, my Aunts and Uncles took us kids to where the

J-5 were to receive the keys to the city.  They arrived by helicopter in

this huge shopping center parking lot.  It seemed like everybody in the

city of Gary was there.  The girls were screaming so loud you couldn’t

hear yourself think.  And it was like what Ice T said about Michael in

concert in his book that came out in the 90s; even hardcore gangsters were

yelling when the J-5 jumped off the helicopter!  Of course, I didn’t

scream.  I was too cool...


...OK, I’m lying!!!


Finally, it was show time.  Dudes and dudettes...from head to toe my

threads were groovy, man!  From my psychedelic shirt with the butterfly

collar to my multi-colored and striped bell bottomed pants.  And don’t get

me started talking about my platform shoes.  I was straight pimping,

playa!


And the concert?  Please.  Ain’t seen nothing like it, EVER.  When Jackie

said something like, “Mike, where you going?”  And Mike said, “Jackie,

what’chu mean, ‘Where you going?’”  Then Jermaine jumped in, “Com’on,

Mike, answer Jackie’s question, “Tell the people where you going, man!” 

Mike played dumb, “Ooooooooh, you mean ‘Where am I going?”  Marlon

couldn’t take it, “Michael, quit playing, man!  Tell the people where

you’re going, man!”  “Oh OK,” Mike sighed.  Finally, he grabbed the mic,

“I’M GOING BACK TO INDIANA.  INDIANA HERE I COME.  YEAH, YEAH!  I’M GOING

BACK TO INDIANA, ‘CAUSE THAT’S WHERE MY BABY’S FROM...”


The crowd lost it.


And when they got to Tito’s guitar solo...and that cat leaned back and his

rainbow colored cape opened up...


Well, you know...what more can I say?


Godspeed - Jimmy"


Here is a picture of Michael Jackson's childhood home in Gary, Indiana:












For a full photo gallery, click here.

No comments: