Thursday, May 28, 2009

True Love is...

Nieces and Nephews that laugh at life's simplicities. The emotional spectrum a child goes through in a single day is huge. One moment they'll be crying over a cup of ketchup and the next they'll be laughing hysterically at a horse. Life is so exciting because everything is new. I've often thought of my love of travel as simply an innate, childish desire to be excited by things I've never done or seen before.

Last weekend I was able to discover my true love for these two angels, Parker and Natalie. This may sound bizarre but on Sunday afternoon, I was sitting with Natalie in the kitchen after everyone else had gone downstairs. She was basically just hanging out and babbling to me while I did dishes. A couple times she got fussy and wanted to get out of her seat but I told her I was almost done with the dishes and then I would take her out and play with her. I don't think she understood the words I said, but she must have understood the love I expressed because after I communicated these things to her, she calmed down and was happy again. While we were having these conversations, I had a horrible thought about the possibility of a natural disaster occurring right then and there. The thought came to my mind, what if I was the only one left to care for Natalie? While that would be awful and tragic, she would need me for her survival. And I realized that while it would change my life completely, I would gladly take on that responsibility. Obviously this is a horrible thought and I would never wish for it, but it made me realize the true love I have for my niece and nephew.

And now, BACK TO REALITY. Since I'm actually nowhere near ready for the responsibility of having a kid yet, I'm glad MaryClaire let me practice with hers.

3 comments:

RayRay said...

i second that completely. haha you make me laugh parks... "BACK TO REALITY..."

MaryClaire Brown said...

you're adorable, and i would gladly trust you with them any day. thanks again for coming at a time when i really needed you most. love and miss you tons!

Dave Parker said...

Catherine, I just want to make sure that if there was a natural disaster that you would take care of Sawyer...and that if we were the only two people left and I had lost all of my limbs, would you take care of me and feed me and clothe me even though it would change your life drastically? This is something that I ponder about often before I go to bed.