Thursday, November 20, 2008

Holiday Read...


Many of you know a bit about my father's upbringing. He was born in Germany, then lived in Greece, Turkey and Iraq. For me, stories of Middle Eastern culture and the warm hospitality of its citizens have always been a usual dinner topic. My father would talk with the fondest memories of his youth in Baghdad: makeshift archaelogical digs with local kids, roaming through thinly discovered ruins with siblings, traipsing through markets and bazaars to find his favorite daggers and armor, and swimming at pool clubs during hot, hot summers. It wasn't until I recently traveled to Jerusalem with 80 other Americans that I realized the way I perceive and understand Arab culture (sadly) is not shared by all Americans.

My aunt has taken one step in clearing this misperception.

If any of you are curious about what I am talking about here, I invite you to read "The Reckoning" by Tanya Parker Mills. While entirely fiction, this novel is loosely based on her (and my father's) upbringing in Iraq. Her understanding of the Arab world permeates in this stimulating, genuine and at times disturbing page-turner. If you liked The Kite Runner, you'll like this.

Click here to read more reviews on Amazon.

3 comments:

defining amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
defining amy said...

Oooh. I was just wondering what I should read next. Thanks Parks!

Lindsy Hartsock said...

I'm excited. I loved the kite runner and thousand splendid sons...so I will have to read this!