Monday, July 27, 2009

Catherine in _________?


When I began this blog about a year ago, I titled it "Catherine in California" because I liked the alliteration, and I thought it was a good follow-up to my first blog, "Catherine in Jerusalem."  By including California in the title, however, I have recently felt a bit constrained to keep the majority of my posts focused on either myself (Catherine) or the state I currently live in (California).

But the truth is, much of the time, my thoughts are still in Jerusalem.  

The modest 3.5 months I spent there over a year ago ignited something inside of me and I can't/don't want to put it out.  I've often wished I had two more years left (on scholarship) in school to study Arabic and Middle Eastern Studies.  But I don't.  So my learning and fire is fueled by watching/reading news stories.  I've recently discovered World Focus which provides very strong coverage of the Arab world.  Today's show gives two solid features on both Palestinians and Israelis living in the West Bank. Watch it to get a better understanding of life in Israel.  

What makes me really sad is that 99% of the people I interact with on a normal basis don't understand the issues I care so deeply about.  It's not their fault.  If I can steal something from Amy's blog, "Everyone is doing the very best they can, according to their own level of understanding."

But what if that level of understanding can be changed, equalized to put all members of the Earth on the same level?  The people I respect the most are those that are open to hearing new ideas, new thinking and new knowledge, even if that new knowledge strikingly disagrees with their own circle of thought.  

While I'm often tempted to simply write about my daily, or weekly, activities, I'll do my best to continue posting my own personal understanding of this world.

More photos from Canovix:



2 comments:

defining amy said...

you have let your experiences shape the way you view the world, and i love it. i wish i understood more of what you understand. you're just so wise.

Lindsy Hartsock said...

I think that is so amazing that you had that experience! Not just to visit, but to live there and more fully soak up everything about it. Lucky girl! I'm glad you are still keeping the passion you felt when you were there alive.