Sunday, December 7, 2008

One year ago...


One year ago this weekend, I experienced the best moment in my sports career. After a very emotional season (as they all are), the BYU Cougars upset the University of Washington Huskies at their house to advance to the Sweet Sixteen of the NCAA volleyball tournament. UW was ranked #6 and had won the National Championship two years prior. BYU was ranked #20-something and had not advanced past the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament in 8 years. We were not expected to win. Like all the years before, we were expected to lose in the first weekend. But we weren't ready to be done. Four of us in particular were not ready to be done with our BYU careers. We had sacrificed too many tears, too many injuries, too much time to let our season end so quickly.

So we battled. And came out on top. I'll be forever grateful to everyone who helped me leave BYU on top.

The best place to play volleyball:

3 comments:

Lindsy Hartsock said...

That seriously was an amazing finish you guys had, and you were also very deserving of it!

Erica Crismon said...

I. HAVE. CHILLS. I love us. And I hate to say it but I miss BYU!! I miss playing with you and Annie and Juddy and everyone else. I miss JW. I miss Nev's. I miss Legends Grill even. But most of all, I miss living with you and killing innocent birds. Love you Parks!

Annie and Caleb Pinegar said...

parks you say it best. but i have been thinking about it. it truly was amazing be there with some of my best friends and playing good volleyball. i got in trouble tonight because I am too competitive...what can I say my intramural team was in the semi-finals...of course i am going to be a ball hog. love you!