Saturday, January 3, 2009

Latest Read.

I recently finished the book, Three Cups of Tea, an inspiring true story about a humanitarian who built over 50 schools for children in Pakistan and Afghanistan.  The most striking part of Greg's story to me was how poor and simple he was before he began his life's work.  I borrowed the book from my grandmother who had just finished reading it herself.  

Greg overcame many obstacles, the most difficult being obtaining funds in America for his projects abroad.  But his endurance and incredible wife's support helped him to provide a secular education for children in an area where education is normally mixed with religious zeal.  This has been the cause for several international conflicts and Greg's mission works to overcome this flaw.

As I was nearing completion of this book, I came across a quote that had been underlined by my grandmother.  Some words were underlined twice and I wish to share it here.  The quote is a Muslim  response to the US reaction after 9/11.  The names and countries are specific to a certain time, but the main principle should be applied today and always.

"You have to attack the source of your enemy's strength.  In America's case, that's not Osama or Saddam or anyone else.  The enemy is ignorance.  The only way to defeat it is to build relationships with these people, to draw them into the modern world with education and business.  Otherwise the fight will go on forever."  

3 comments:

defining amy said...

I love love love this quote. It expresses what I feel in so many ways, much clearer than I ever have. Thanks so much for sharing.

elise said...

I have been wanting to read this. Thanks for the review (I am always looking for new book suggestions) & going to put it on my list.

Lauren said...

I LOVE THIS BOOK!!! I finished it right before we came out Austria. I too was hit hard by that quote and believe it to be sooo incredibly true. Life is about building relationships with people and striving to make them better. Thanks for sharing and reminding me how many great principles this book has to offer.